Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Wednesday Morning Rain

Lord, I thank you for the rain
Water washing sin and stain
Soothes the bones and eases pain
I drink the morning in

Running clear from sky to ground
Like my heart, the drops they pound
And I hear mercy all around
As weighted branches bend

It gives consent to shed my tears
To cry like thunder at stangling fears
Like rising steam, new strength appears
That smells like hope again

A rain-washed scent the sun breaks through
Warming sky from gray to blue
Mercy making all things new
A fresh new day begins
                                   -LD

Isn't it funny how rain somehow gives us permission to be sad? Or to just be where we are. Even moving us to repentance- in essence, a "pouring out" of ourselves.  In a mysterious way, it's like my soul can feel free to join creation in it's grayness as the sky weeps.

And there is no pressure to be particularly happy on a rainy day. The older I get, the more I find enjoyment in such days and having the freedom to "just be". It's rainy days that give us a chance to crawl under the covers and appreciate the coziness of our warm beds, to look out at the rain or storm and then look in at the stillness and feel protected.

Again, the rain leads to thoughts of washing and renewal. And His mercies are new every morning. So a morning rain seems to be double the reminder of His mercies poured out! Making all things new!  
 
 
Lamentations 3:22-24

 22It is of the LORD's mercies that we are not consumed, because his compassions fail not.
 23They are new every morning: great is thy faithfulness.
 24The LORD is my portion, saith my soul; therefore will I hope in him.


1 comment: